The SmartVS software is made to run in a Windows environment. Mac computer users have a couple of options for using SmartVS in a Mac computer. A Windows installation could be run inside MacOS using virtualization software, or it can be run as an alternative operating system using the same computer.
Note that these are only suggestions on how to try to get the software to run in an operating system other than Windows. Intelligent Hearing Systems cannot provide support for these methods as these products are provided by third parties. Contact the manufacturer of the specific software used for support with those products.
Using a PC emulator: PlayOnMac
While using this method, you will be able to run the Windows application inside MacOS. Although these instructions are provided to you to facilitate this type of installation, IHS cannot provide any support related to errors from the PlayOnMac software and it’s components. Please consult the PlayOnMac support for questions regarding their software. This method requires the use of the SmartVS Web License, The Standard License installer is not supported.
Using virtualization software
While using this method, you will be able to run Windows applications inside MacOS. Before making a choice of which virtualization software to use, you may want to check with your institution. Some institutions may provide virtualization software and Windows licenses at no cost, others may have a preference as to which software should be used. In any case, the procedure for installation is very similar. Below you will find links for the most common virtualization software in the marketplace.
- Install the Virtualization software. The most commonly used virtual machine software include Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, and VIrtual Box.
- Instructions for Parallels Desktop: https://kb.parallels.com/4729
- Instructions for VMWare Fusion: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1011677
- Instructions for Virtual Box: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E26796/html/qs-create-vm.html
- Follow the instructions on the guides above until you have finished the Windows installation.
- Plug in the SmartVS thumb drive, and make sure it connects to the Windows virtual machine, then run the SmartVS installer as instructed on the package. You may also use the Web installer.
When using this method with a thumb drive installer, make sure the thumb drive remains connected to the Windows virtual machine while you use the software. If the thumb drive is disconnected, the software wont detect the license file and will not open. This does not apply to the SmartVS Web License installer.
Using MacOS Bootcamp
This method may be easier to implement for most. Make sure your Mac supports Bootcamp before proceeding, as of this writing, Macs with an M-series processor do not support Bootcamp.
While using this method, you will need to reboot the computer to switch between MacOS and Windows. Before purchasing a license of Microsoft Windows, check with your institution, as some institutions may provide licenses of Windows at no cost. To Install:
- Run the Bootcamp installer as per Apple’s instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
- Once Windows is up and running, plug-in the SmartVS thumb drive or use the Web version of the software, and run the SmartVS installer as instructed on the package.
As with any other windows installation, keep the thumb drive inserted into the USB port. If the thumb drive is disconnected, the software wont detect the license file and will not open. This does not apply to the SmartVS Web License installer.